Visit my website at www.jeangdayton.com

Friday 25 April 2008

Essence of Nature

The Essence of Nature

When I am deciding to paint a new painting I draw my inspiration from Nature. I wanted to ponder a little on the process that takes me to the point of starting a painting, whether it be an abstract, semi-abstract, floral or seascape study. Living where I do I have an abundance of nature on my door step, I cant help but notice what surrounds me; whether it be the morning mist over the fields from the bedroom window or the way the trees are highlighted from the light in the moonlit sky, its these wonderous moments that make me feel like I could literally fall into my surroundings and become one with nature. Its sounds a little cheesy but that is how nature inspires me, it simply makes me feel good and that is what I want to capture within my paintings.

I quite like the fact that I can go off for a day with my camera investigating new places for inspirational memories, whether it be the seaside, the forest or across the farm fields, pretty good for job research! Shape and colour play an important role for me in my designs, colour in particular and the combinations of colours and how they make me feel, there are so many examples within nature of great colour combinations, you only have to look at the array of summer annuals we can plant in our gardens, the gorgeous colours in the fuschia flower, deep pinks and vivid purples together displayed to perfection or the delicate blue violet colour of the bluebells; particularly at this time of year with May just around the corner the bluebells being in full bloom, displaying their quiet beauty in our local woods.

As an artist I can draw all manner of information from nature to form a basis for a painting, whether it is how a leaf has fallen to the ground in the autumn months, creating a leafy path, the softness felt underfoot - my paintings Autumn Falls and Autumn Breeze were both inspired by my autumnal walks in the leafy forest. Or the way the light shines through the delicate petals of the tulip flower, accentuating it’s colour depth and tone. Nature is our constant reminder of who we truly are, it doesn’t struggle to grow, it gently and surely surfaces when its time, as without doubt it knows its purpose in life and flows with it. Wouldn’t it be great to live our lives alongside nature, perfectly in tune with our inner selves, constantly flowing with life in a joyful state of existence.


© Jean G Dayton 25.04.08

No comments: